Hybrid Reborn: 2023 Toyota Prius RevealedBlog Nov 23rd, 2022
- All-New Sporty Exterior Styling with Flowing, One-Motion Silhouette
- Fifth Gen Hybrid Powertrain with up to 196 horsepower
- Standard All-Wheel Drive in Canada
- Legacy Name to Carry on Toyota’s Commitment to Carbon Neutrality
TORONTO, Ontario (November 16th, 2022) – Twenty-two years ago, a high-tech sedan rolled into North American Toyota dealerships and forever changed the automotive industry. The 2001 Prius, Latin for “To Go Before” became the world’s first production hybrid car and ushered in a new generation of vehicles that combined an electric motor with a high efficiency engine to squeeze more kilometers out of every litre. Now, over two decades later, this legendary nameplate is ready to yet again show it is at the forefront – with the reveal of the all-new 2023 Toyota Prius and Prius Prime at a kickoff event the eve of the 2022 Los Angeles Auto Show at the LA Convention Centre.
“As a company, we set our sights on developing a new Prius for the future, and our design and engineering teams really delivered,” said Toyota Motor North America group vice president and general manager Dave Christ. “The weight of the Prius name is heavy – it carries with it the identity of an entire category of vehicle powertrain. We’re confident the all-new 2023 Prius and Prius Prime will continue this important legacy.”
Since the original Prius launched, the automaker envisioned a world where hybrid-powered fuel efficiency was not the alternative, but rather the norm. Now, with over 5 million units sold in North America, and over 20 million globally, Toyota hybrids are not only a common sight, but they have made a difference too, preventing over 82 million tons of CO2 emissions from entering the atmosphere. This Toyota hybrid brings accessible electrification to drivers everywhere.
As part of Toyota’s diverse approach to carbon neutrality, the Prius hybrid is part of lineup that looks to move “beyond zero”. With ten hybrids, two plug-in hybrids, the new bZ4X battery electric vehicle, and zero emission hydrogen fuel cell technology Mirai, Toyota is committed to finding highly efficient and zero emission solutions that fit customers lifestyles across North America. As a symbol of that commitment, the 2023 Prius will be the first Toyota vehicle to wear a new “Beyond Zero” badge, a global effort to achieve carbon neutrality in our products, manufacturing, and beyond.
Sporty Yet Comfortable
For this latest Prius, the goal was to create a vehicle that not only met the practical needs of today’s customers, but also had emotional appeal. Available in XLE AWD and Limited AWD grades in Canada, the 2023 Prius is built on the second-generation TNGA-C platform, offering a low centre of gravity with reduced weight and increased rigidity compared to the previous generation. The result? A wider stance and a lower driving position that feels nimble, yet comfortable.
Designed in Japan, the all-new Prius offers a style that is modern, progressive and understated from the inside out. With its piercing silhouette that evokes a level of aerodynamic flair, the new Prius lowers the roofline by 50 mm from the prior generation, for a more athletic look. Moving to the rear of the vehicle it is 20 mm wider, adding a dynamic look to its modern style.
The larger standard wheels also catch the eye – resulting in a sporty look while also that offers drivers added performance and handling. Additionally, the hip point is 30 mm lower than the previous generation Prius, while the battery placement is optimized for a low centre of gravity and enhanced luggage capacity.
When it comes to performance, Prius is purpose-built. The new hybrid system enhances driving performance with increases to both engine and battery output. The acceleration feel and vehicle handling have also been enhanced, providing a driving feel and accelerator response unique to electrified vehicles.
Under the hood is the 5th generation hybrid powertrain coupled with a larger 2.0L engine and a newly developed lithium-ion battery, located underneath the rear seat. A standard Electronic On-Demand AWD system has been adopted which uses a motor to drive the rear wheels, enabling stable driving performance when starting off and when driving on slippery road surfaces such as snow. The newly developed lithium-ion battery pack offers a 15% increase in output compared to the previous generation Nickel Metal battery – reducing the size and the weight.
The result is an engaging acceleration experience with 196 horsepower and a 0-100 km/h time of 7.2 seconds (All-Wheel Drive models). This is a 28% improvement compared to the outgoing FWD model of 10 seconds. A high-output IPM (Interior Permanent Magnet) motor has been adopted for the rear motor on AWD models, allowing for a compact design that enhances the low traction road climbing performance and the stability when turning.
Prius offers three drive modes – NORMAL, ECO and SPORT mode. In ECO mode, the drive force increase in response to accelerator operation is suppressed slightly to enable finer accelerator control and enhance the fuel economy. In POWER mode or SPORT mode, the drive force in the low-/mid-accelerator opening is increased to enhance throttle responsiveness.
Making the Grade
The all-new 2023 Toyota Prius offers an array of standard and available features no matter the grade. Whether choosing the XLE or the Limited grade – in Wind Chill Pearl, Cutting Edge, Guardian Gray, Black, Supersonic Red, or Reservoir Blue – Prius drivers will be ready to look to the road ahead.
XLE AWD Grade
- Standard Features:
- 19-inch alloy wheels
- 8-inch Toyota Multimedia
- Wireless Apple CarPlay & Android Auto
- Safety Connect, Service Connect (up to 10-yr trial), Remote Connect (3-yr trial)
- 6 USB-c ports
- Electronic Parking Brake (EPB)
- Softex heated leather steering wheel
- Digital Rear-View Mirror & Home Link
- Driver and front passenger heated seats
- 8-way power driver’s seat
- Softex seats
- Smart Key with Push Button Start
- Direct light illumination
- Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Limited AWD Grade
- XLE AWD Standard Features+:
- 12.3-inch Toyota Multimedia
- 3-yr Drive Connect trial (Cloud Navigation, Intelligent Assistant, Destination Assist)
- JBL® Premium Audio System with 8 speakers
- Fixed glass roof
- 8-way power driver’s seat with driver memory
- Driver and front passenger heated and ventilated Seats
- Rain sensing wipers
- Qi wireless charger
- Digital Key
- Power back door
- Advanced Park
- Digital Rearview Mirror
- Heated rear seats
- Panoramic View Monitor
- Front and Rear Parking Assist with Automatic Braking (PA w/AB)
The all-new 2023 Toyota Prius is equipped with the tools to make life more convenient – thanks to the standard Toyota Multimedia system with an available 12.3” display. Prius drivers will also have the opportunity to access a wide range of enhanced connectivity and convenience features, including Over-the-Air (OTA) updates.
Users can interact with the system through intuitive touch and voice activation controls. With the available Drive Connect, drivers and passengers have access to Intelligent Assistant, Cloud Navigation and Destination Assist. With Intelligent Assistant, simple phrases like “Hey Toyota” awaken the system for natural voice commands to search for directions, find Points of Interest (POI) and more; while the standard Toyota Assistant allows you to control vehicle features like audio controls, cabin temperature and more. Cloud Navigation, the available onboard navigation solution, utilizes the cloud to download the latest available map, traffic and routing information. To ensure users have the most up-to-date search capabilities, POI data is provided by Google. Destination Assist also gives access to 24/7 live agent assistance to locate the next destination.
The new Toyota Multimedia allows for dual Bluetooth® phone connectivity, with support for standard wireless Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ compatibility.
For those looking for an enhanced audio experience, the Prius offers a JBL® Premium Audio system with eight speakers creating a mobile concert from any music genre. Standard on the Limited grade only, with the use of Clari-Fi® technology, the system is also able to breathe life into compressed digital music formats enhancing the audio experience.
With the Toyota app, users can stay connected to their Prius with a standard 3-year trial of Remote Connect which allows to remotely lock/unlock the doors, start/stop the vehicle, check vehicle status and set Guest Driver Alerts. Digital key, standard on the Limited grade, allows you to use your smartphone in place of the key fob.
Each Prius model also comes with a complimentary up to 10-year trial* for Safety Connect and Service Connect. Safety Connect includes an Emergency Assistance Button (SOS), 24/7 Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Automatic Collision Notification and Stolen Vehicle Locator. Service Connect gives drivers the ability to receive Vehicle Health Reports and Warning Light Notifications.
Ready to handle all your device charging needs, the Prius is equipped with six USB ports in the cabin. Up front, two Type-C USB ports at the bottom of the centre stack plus two more Type-C USB ports in the centre console. For second-row passengers, two Type-C USB ports are located at the bottom rear of the centre console.
Convenience features are aplenty for Prius, too. Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) is standard on all grades. Front and Rear Parking Assist with Automatic Braking is available on all grades. A Panoramic View Monitor is available on Limited and provides a live rotating 360-degree view around the vehicle. Advanced Park is available on Limited, a hands-free system designed to assist you with parallel parking or backing into a parking space.
For 2023, Prius will come standard with the latest Toyota Safety Sense generation, TSS 3.0. This suite of active safety systems includes the existing feature set available on the prior generation Prius but includes some additional enhancements and capabilities.
This suite of safety features includes:
- Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection
- Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist
- Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
- Lane Tracing Assist
- Automatic High Beams
The Toyota Safety Sense feature from the prior generation Prius has been enhanced for TSS 3.0:
- The Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection has enhanced detection capabilities thanks to new system sensors. It receives enhanced intersection support with improved detection capability in certain circumstances. It also adds the capability to detect motorcyclists, in addition to bicyclists and pedestrians.
- Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist has enhanced lane recognition that includes detection of certain 3D objects, like guardrails, that may be used to help define the lane.
- Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control adds a fourth following distance setting, from the previously available three. Enhanced vehicle detection allows for the ability to detect more than one preceding vehicle, as well as vehicles in adjacent lanes. This helps the system to provide smoother, more natural speed adjustments, especially when the driver changes lanes.
- Like Lane Departure Alert, lane recognition is enhanced for Lane Tracing Assist. This system now also helps provide more space between vehicles being passed in adjacent lanes. It works by offsetting the vehicles’ driving path with minor steering adjustments while keeping the vehicle within its lane.
- An Emergency Driving Stop System has been added to Lane Tracing Assist. It’s designed to monitor the driver’s inputs, such as steering operation, to determine if they’re inattentive or non-responsive, such as during a medical emergency. This feature can bring the vehicle to a stop if the driver doesn’t respond to alerts to take control.
The price and on-sale date of the exciting, all-new 2023 Prius will be announced later this year.
*Services are dependent upon connection to a compatible wireless network, provided by a third-party wireless service provider. Toyota is not responsible for cellular network discontinuance and will not provide compensation for reduced service availability.
Leave a Reply